The Region V+ Mental Health Initiative serves mental health consumers in Central Minnesota. We are comprised of Aitkin, Cass, Crow Wing, Morrison, Todd, Wadena counties, and Leech Lake Band and Mille Lacs Band of Ojibwe tribes.
The Region V+ Mental Health Initiative Board has authority to develop and implement policy and procedures for preparation of the biennial Adult Mental Health Grant Application; to budget for the multi-county area based on the individual county and tribal mental health Annual Plans, the regional planning activities of the Board, and the input from consumers through the regional LAC and area mental health consumer organizations.
Additionally, the Region V+ Mental Health Initiative is responsible for the identification of adult mental health service needs and the development of mechanisms for multi-county program development, evaluation, coordination and implementation when seen as feasible, by participating counties or tribes; including any other mental health related programs and/or Minnesota Department of Health special project grants which come within the jurisdiction of the Board.
The Board may contract for services from private firms, non-profit corporations, state and local government agencies, sovereign tribes, community agencies, qualified individuals, or other sources.
- Reduce hospitalizations.
- Reduce hold order costs.
- Support consumer independent living.
- Expand outreach and educational efforts.
- Increase community resources.
- Provide services in all six counties.
- There is no “wrong door” to access services, and all Providers know how to obtain access to all services.
- All client services are self-directed whenever and to the maximum degree possible.
- All services are provided in the least restrictive environment (in compliance with the Olmstead Decision of the US Supreme Court).
- Effective support is provided at the right time and in the right place.
- Programs and services will incorporate a Holistic view of mental and physical health.
- Programs shall seek to decrease the amount and duration of involuntary services (under Commitment or duress).
- Services shall be provided in a cost effective way.